Saturday, October 29, 2011

Lurking NaNoWriMo!



   Here's a picture any nerd can identify with. The good old coffee-fueled computer session. A.K.A. "Where the magic happens." It's something I have a feeling I'll be seeing a lot of, too, because in spite of all my crazy projects, I've signed up again for NaNoWriMo this year.

   So what is NaNoWriMo? Well, November is National Novel Writing Month. The challenge is to write a 50,000 word novel in one month. To learn more, check out NaNoWriMo.org.

   I've been looking forward to this all year. Even though my last attempt was less than stellar (I got about three pages and procrastinated the rest of the month because of writer's block <_< ), I still want to give it another go and see if I can make something of it. Since stuff gets wiped from the site every year, I plan to blog about my NaNoWriMo progress here while I work. Even if I don't finish my novel in November, I still want to get it finished this time. No way am I stopping at three pages this year! Wish me luck!

   So far, all I have is a concept. (Yes, we can do a bit of planning for concepts and characterization before November, just as long as we don't WRITE the novel before then.) I've posted it on my profile under novel info, but since that's one of the things that gets wiped, I'm going to re-post it here. The working title is Melanie's Odds.




Working concept for Melanie's Odds As introduced on my NaNoWriMo profile (October 29th, 2011)

   A story about a backwards girl who can project her imagination on others.

   The bones of it is that the kid is an orphan, and she keeps going to all these different homes and getting sent back because strange stuff happens around her. I figure this will go on for a few chapters, develop the core of her character, and establish her abilities.

   During the course of the story, she ages to about a teenager, and starts becoming more aware of her "power" and how to use it. She's a bit confused and spiteful, because everyone seems to be afraid of her. She uses her imagination to play tricks on people, but sometimes it comes back on her because she's not really completely in control of it.

   The turning point of the story is when a love interest comes on the scene, and suddenly reality becomes very important to her. Does he love her? Is it just her imagination? Will she abuse her power and MAKE him love her? Does she even deserve his love? Melanie struggles through what is real and what isn't, while finding out who her true friends are.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...