Friday, October 21, 2011

Good Witch, Chapter 1: Discovery-- (Page 1, Page 2, and Page 3)

   Now before I begin, I want you to please, please, please keep in mind that I probably won't be posting updates every day. So don't get your hopes up just because I've knocked out three at once! I'd also like to note that this isn't the whole Chapter 1, just the first three pages of it. After a while I'll probably establish a good working-rhythm, but for now I'm just going to toss them up as they're completed/as the ideas come to me.

   Please stay tuned after the feature for commentary.



Chapter 1: Discovery (Page 1)



Chapter 1: Discovery (Page 2)



Chapter 1: Discovery (Page 3)




   The sort of borderless light-and-shadow style might not be too detailed, but I chose it for a couple reasons. The first is that, when I tried it, I really liked the groove of how it looked. It sort of reminds me of something that was just kinda' painted there on a wall or a piece of wood or something. The second is because I didn't want too many details to be revealed all at once. It's like how when you're writing in text, you can with-hold plot information by simply not describing it-- I can simply not detail it in the drawing. I love it when groove and practicality just kinda' fall into place with each-other like that.

   Now that I look back at the first page, I can't help but think of Sound of Music meets Stonehenge when I look at the first panel. While the similarity of the rock formations in the background to Stonehenge was somewhat intentional, that's not supposed to be the actual Stonehenge in the background. The Sound of Music vibe, however, was totally unintentional. Who knows how this stuff pops up.

   Drawing the interior of the house on Page 2 made me twitch, as interiors always do, but I think I'm kinda' proud of it. My accuracy-obsessed brain always has to make a mental blueprint of the place before pen hits paper (or graphics tablet, as the case may be). I sat there for about twenty minutes without drawing anything, thinking of where everything was placed in the house! Will the entire house ever be featured in the comic? We may never know. The important part is, we won't be missing a table or a bedroom if it ever pops up again.

   The third page is kinda' hard to see, I think. I went crazy with the sheer felt-tip pen for those glow-effects, and with the watercolor effect added in for magics, well...  yeah. It's only four panels with no dialogue, but I hope it gets the point across well enough. Well..  unless "AHHHGH!!!" counts as dialogue. <_< The next one (Which is currently a work in progress) might be even more crazy.

   That's about all I've got for now. Hope you enjoyed the first peek at "Good Witch"!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...