Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Tag 'Em Along.... Asteroid Mining Blues

   I've been playing around with an idea, lately, that's kind of like the story of John Henry with a futuristic twist. Here's what I've got completed so far.


Episode 1: A Miner Inconvenience


   Now for the behind the scenes!

   For this comic I actually had a semi-script done beforehand, and drew the comic later. I say semi-script because it was more of a concept than a word-for-word thing. I'd share the one for this episode, but I lost them.

    What?

   Don't look at me like that. <_<


   Moving on.....

   If you recognize the style of drawing, that's because it's the same as in the banner-comic for Earning My Cape. The white lines along the inside of the black ones come from using the bucket tool in GIMP. I could disappear these by making the black lines a separate layer, and coloring behind them, (and sometimes I do) but I mostly like the look of leaving them in.

   The idea for the transparent chat-bubbles actually came to me from playing videogames. In the game I played, there was an option to make the interface windows translucent, and since I had a small screen and needed lots of interface windows, I cranked down the opacity to about 30% so I could see more of my surroundings. The way I figure it, the same can work for small comic-book panels, as long as the text is easy to see.

   As for the content of the comic itself, I think I had the most fun drawing out that cheesy commercial. Any time exposition can meet lolz is a good time, I say! I'd also like to note that my mom caught two typos at the very last minute before I posted. Thanks, Mom! So there was a quick edit to cross some Ts..  or rather, turn some "Teh"s into "The"s.


   This isn't the only new comic I'm working on, but I don't want to spoil that until I get the first page up. More on that later.....

3 comments:

  1. I found the script!

    Here's the concept outline for "Episode 1: A Miner Inconvenience"

    -------
    Introduce Tag-Along Asteroid company with an incredibly cheesy commercial where they claim every asteroid is delivered with love and care. These guys are like the big guys- like the W***[SPECIFIC COMPANY NAME CENSORED] of asteroid claiming. As soon as the commercial is over, it cuts over to them firing one of their best guys because he's being replaced with a robot.
    -----

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job!

    I nominated you for The Versatile Blogger Award. Come check it out when you have a chance. :-)
    http://earning-my-cape.blogspot.com/2012/04/versatile-blogger-award.html

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...